Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Obedience Brings Blessings

Hermana Hansen only has one hour each P-day to read and write emails. She ran out of time on the computer, and so she wrote us a bonus letter on Saturday (the good old fashioned way) which we received today! Hooray for snail mail! What a fun surprise!

Hola Mi Familia!

That hour flew by and there were still a couple of mucho importante messages that I wanted to share with you.

Okay! The two most important things I have learned from the MTC so far:

1. This mission is NOT for me. Study time is NOT for me. It's for the investigator. We don't even have a real investigator, just a fake one and I can already tell you that this is true. Our mission purpose is to bring others to Christ. Obviously, we can grow along the way. But, it should all be about the investigator.

When I entered the MTC, of course I thought about the investigators. But, I also thought this mission was going to help ME grow. Help ME become a better person. I was prideful! Of course, we need to be our best selves. But, more importantly, we need to do this so we can be a tool that God can use to help other people feel the Spirit. This mission is not about MY personal growth. It's about the INVESTIGATOR'S growth.

2. Exact obedience is key.  My main goal coming into the MTC was to be obedient. Let me tell you something...that is easier said than done. There's stupid little rules like we can't open letters until 9:20 PM, and we can only write back on P-days (that's really hard for me)! And none of the other zones have these rules!  Or no bringing food out of the cafeteria. (What if I want to finish my bagel?) Or no studying on the couches in our classrooms. (Like...what?) Or lights out at exactly 10:30 PM.  (Will it really make much of a difference at 10:35)? Or, no playing soccer with the Elders. (What if no Hermanas will play soccer with us)?

These are the rules that Hermana Baker and I were struggling with. Some of them seemed so silly!  But, during our personal and companion study, we discovered something! If we are not obedient, we won't receive as great of blessings. These rules were set by God's servants. They are there for a reason, even if we don't understand why. We cannot expect to receive the gift of tongues until we are exactly obedient. Ever since we have done this, life has gone so much smoother. Studying has gone smoother. I can already see the blessings from being exactly obedient!

One more thing! I went until Friday without getting emotional at the MTC.

WIN!

But, on Friday, we learned  how to testify in Español.  Brother Ashby asked me to read a scripture (en español) and then testify of it. I read John 3:16 (For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.) Then I bore my testimony in español. I struggled with the words, but the gift of tongues came to me and I didn't have to look at my notes. I started crying as I testified to Brother Ashby, and he looked back at me with the love of God in his eyes.  When I finished he told me I did 'Buenisimo!'

Guys! I suck at Spanish. It's very hard. But this was a changing point for me. The gospel is true in Español and in English. It doesn't matter. And the gift of tongues is real.

I'll close con mi testimonio.  Yo se que Dios es amoroso y el Padre Celestial.  Yo se que Jesucristo es el Salvador y nuestro Redentor. Yo se que mi familia es eterna. Este testimonio me ayuda a superar desafios!!! En el nombre de Jesucristo. Amen!

Con Amor,
Hermana Hansen

Hermana Hansen LOVES receiving your letters. Dear Elder has an  amazing service with FREE same day MTC delivery of any letter written before noon. Be sure to select the PROVO WEST MTC. Click on "write letter". Her unit number is 836. Departure date is SEP15. 
And the mission code is MEX-TXG.