Monday, November 24, 2014

Nothing Prepares You for the Mission



Celebrating the Mockingjay premiere. Obviously M. saw it for me so I saw it vicariously through her. YES I'M DYING.



I'll start out by sharing the progress of Hermana Martinez and her English.

As she was attempting to share with me what she learned in her personal study (in English) she said, "we need very much to BREAKFAST and pray for our investigators." 

I said, "really.... breakfast? desayuno?" Hermana Martinez replied, "OH NO!!! FAST! FAST! FAST!!!" hahahaha 

Now for my Spanish progress. I said that we needed to check with our "basuras" to see if they paid for the water this month. Basura = trash. I meant to say Vecina = neighbor. Yikes. 

I'm also at the point where I can't really remember a lot of words in English. Like it's difficult to speak English but I can't speak Spanish either. So I'm left languageless. 


The Stake President (local church leader) had a Christmas Party for us in his house.  So awesome.


You asked me what the most difficult thing is about my mission. I haven't responded to this because I don't know how to answer!! Haha my mission is the most difficult thing I've ever done but also the most amazing thing I've ever done. I can honestly say I enjoy every day.
Hermanas posing with Hermano A, secretary to the bishop in the local ward.

But why is it so difficult as well? I think it's because for a year and a half, we literally represent Jesus Christ. As a part of this, we try to act as he would, experience what He did.

This means trying to experience a bit of His atonement, every day. When our investigator isn't progressing, we feel it. 

When they are struggling with an addiction, we feel it. When they are happy, we are happy, when they are struggling or in pain, we feel it as well. If we don't, we aren't doing our job. It's because of the love we have for this people.


As we grow closer to Christ we are able to love more than we thought ever possible. And nothing prepares you for that. Not the MTC.... nothing. 

Yesterday we were visiting an inactivo (less active) who is literally on her death bed, dying of lung cancer.  Hermana Martinez said, "They didn't teach me this in the MTC! Why didn't they prepare me for this?" haha, it's so true. 

Nothing prepares you for the mission

But it's so great. Because every single day, as we are helping these people, I feel an indescribable joy that I've never felt before. Yes it's hard physically, mentally, and spiritually. But seriously, the salvation of these souls bring the absolute greatest joy. It's amazing. Alma 36:24.




I absolutely love serving these people, I love representing Christ, and I love being a missionary. 

I love walking miles in the heat and humidity, I love the people, the language, and I love bringing these amazing precious souls to Christ.


 
EAT A LOT AT THANKSGIVING FOR ME AND SHOP LIKE CRAZY.

Con Amor,

Hermana Hansen